Female sterilization involves tying and cutting both fallopian tubes. For IUI procedure, the doctor needs to inject semen as deep as possible in the uterine cavity area. The sperm must swim through the fallopian tube to fertilize the ovulated egg.
If an important part like the fallopian tube is missing, the sperm will not be able to swim through the fallopian tube to fertilize the egg. Therefore, IUI treatment is not recommended for women who have had a sterilization but still want to have children.
What should you do, if you want to have children again?
When IUI procedure is eliminated, there are still 2 other ways to help with having children: 1. Sterilization reversal 2. Doing ICSI or Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method?
In this method, the doctor must first check the condition of the fallopian tubes. Then the sterilization reversal will be done by reconnecting the fallopian tubes together and injecting them with color dye for a check. Then, the advantages are that the expenses are low and the couple can have children through the natural method.
- It requires a surgery, staying in the hospital, risking anesthesia, infection, and blood loss.
- Risk of ectopic pregnancy
- In women over 35 years of age, the chance of natural pregnancy decreases even more.
- The longer sterilization takes, the less chance of pregnancy will be.
- The success rate is 30-90%. In case of a short fallopian tube due to the sterilization, it will affect the chances of getting pregnant.
- The man must not have severe sperm abnormalities.
2.Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection or ICSI
This method involves fertilizing an egg and sperm outside the body. Under the supervision of embryologists, embryos are cultured. The woman does not need to get a sterilization reversal. The advantages are that there is no need for staying in the hospital, it reduces the risk of ectopic pregnancy, chromosomal abnormalities can be tested, and the chance of pregnancy is also high.
- The success depends on the age of the woman and egg quality.
- It can result in OHSS, a syndrome in which the ovaries are overstimulated.
- It can result in side effects from taking ovarian-stimulating medications.
- High costs
Therefore, if the woman is sterilized but wants to have children, it cannot be treated with Intrauterine Insemination or IUI. The woman will be able to have children by getting sterilization reversal or ICSI procedure only. For anyone looking for a clinic to treat infertility, don’t forget to consult us at Prime Fertility Clinic. We are happy to serve you.
Prime Fertility Center, we not only provide infertility treatment services but what we aim and consistently develop is customer service with care, being ready to provide consultation, taking care and paying attention to every emotion like a family member. As we well understand the feeling, pressure, and stress of those who are unable to have babies. So, we aim to deliver warmth and offer full services to facilitate our patients. We work with the determination and attention of our specialized doctor, embryologists, and skillful staff in taking care of the patients and providing a comprehensive counseling service.
Should you be interested in getting fertility consultation, please contact us. | ICSI Bangkok | ICSI Thailand
- Open: Monday – Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
Time: 08:00 – 16:00
- Closed: Thursday, Sunday and Public Holidays