Heavy menstrual bleeding or Menorrhagia means menstrual bleeding is taking longer than 7 days.
Therefore, women need to change their sanitary pads very often. Getting fatigued, faint, dizzy, etc. Some women may confront with these following symptoms:
- Period pain
- Abnormal leucorrhea such as offensive smell
- Irregular periods
- Changing a sanitary pad every hour because of heavy menstrual bleeding during the day
- Necessarily waking up to change a sanitary pad during the night
- Turning 50 years of age or almost reaching menopause but menstrual bleeding is heavy irregularly instead of less bleeding.
Heavy periods may occur from many causes. Some causes can affect fertility for examples:
- Imbalanced hormones. Once estrogen cannot work normally, women will have the endometrial hyperplasia.
- Uterine problems no matter it is uterine fibroids, pelvic inflammation or endometriosis since the uterus is truly related to menstruation.
- Side effect from some treatments or medications for instance; hormone usage, chemotherapy, intrauterine device.
- Defective physical condition or some diseases may cause menorrhagia as well.
Therefore, women with heavy menstrual bleeding should visit the doctor to find out the actual cause of the problem. As the irregular periods may lead the infertility afterwards.
Reference: Prime Fertility Center Co., Ltd.