In this way, doctor will need to evaluate the fallopian tubes before reattach them to allow pregnancy. Then ensure the reversal by Hysterosalpingography (HSG). Therefore, patients can be pregnant by natural fertilization afterwards.
Advantages of Sterilization Reversal
- Able to conceive naturally
- Cost is lower than ICSI treatment
Disadvantages of Sterilization Reversal
- Available for some large hospitals since it is a major surgery. Patients will admit to the hospital in order to monitor any possible complications including risk from anesthesia, infection, bleeding.
- Risk of ectopic pregnancy (In case of having an ectopic pregnancy, patients may have the surgery again.)
- Although the reversal has been finished successfully, natural pregnancy in women over 35 years will be more difficult or even impossible.
- The longer time the sterilization has been made, the less pregnancy opportunity will be.
- Success rate is 30-90%. The short fallopian tubes after reversal will affect the pregnancy opportunity.
- Ineffective for male who has severe sperm abnormalities
ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection)
ICSI is to retrieve egg and sperm then fertilize outside human body under the care of fertility specialist and embryologist. Therefore, women can be pregnant without sterilization reversal.
Advantages of ICSI
- Reduce the risk of major surgery
- Avoid the risk of ectopic pregnancy
- Avoid the cost of sterilization reversal
- Increase pregnancy opportunity
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT) is available. In order to lower the risk of having a baby with genetic disorders.
- Increase pregnancy opportunity in case of sperm abnormalities in males
Disadvantages of ICSI
- The success depends on female age and equality of eggs.
- Ovarian stimulation program may cause OHSS (Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome).
- Side effect from ovarian stimulation medication
- High cost
Reference: Prime Fertility Center Co., Ltd.