Anovulation is a common cause of infertility. Women who have abnormalities about egg’s development and ovulation will have irregular periods. Menstrual cycle is shorter than 21 days or longer than 36 days probably means irregular ovulation.
If the length of menstrual cycle is during 21-36 days and keeps changing every month, this will be the sign of irregular ovulation as well.
Anovulation will make woman can not conceive as there is no egg for fertilization. Irregular ovulation will reduce the chance of pregnancy since woman has a lack of ovulation more often than usual.
Both anovulation and irregular ovulation rise from various causes. The common causes are including:
- Hyperprolactinemia: Prolactin is a hormone that is responsible for breast milk production. Hyperprolactinemia or high prolactin levels is caused by pituitary tumor and some medicines, e.g., domperidone.
- High stress levels
- Extreme exercise
- Rapid weight loss from diet
- Being underweight or overweight
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a condition that ovaries fail to produce matured eggs then also fail to release eggs. These immature eggs will produce excess testosterone levels as well as other male hormone levels. This situation makes a confusion of pituitary gland. After that pituitary gland will produce too much luteinizing hormone (LH) and too little follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). Finally, FSH deficiency leads anovulation due to the eggs cannot grow up properly.
- Premature ovarian insufficiency (POI) with unexplained reasons or identified reasons, e.g., chemotherapy, radiotherapy, ovarian surgery.
- Perimenopause or menopause
- Thyroid dysfunction
The treatment for anovulation depends on its causes. Some patients can be treated by changing their lifestyle and diet.
If bodyweight or extreme exercise is a cause of anovulation, increasing bodyweight or reducing exercise will be enough to make the ovulation become normal. Similarly, in obesity person, reducing bodyweight by 10% can also lead the normal ovulation as well.
Therefore, please consult with the doctor in order to find out the possible treatment respectively.
Reference: Prime Fertility Center Co., Ltd.